November 23, 2020
This message is distributed to All-Instructors, Academic-Assistant-Deans, and Academic-Department-Managers.
The following is being sent on behalf of the Instructional Support Team
The Instructional Support Team has a number of updates during this short week.
Remote Teaching “What Works” Spotlight Series: Plan for Winter Quarter! (December 14-17)
Instructors from the summer “Reimagining Instruction for the Student Experience” (RISE) Institute will share their insights and experiences from Fall quarter. Come to hear about what works, what doesn’t, and to ask your questions about all things related to remote teaching. All workshops are 11-12 (Monday through Thursday). Each day will focus on a different theme:
Monday: Fostering Community
Tuesday: Creating Engaging Synchronous Courses
Wednesday: Creating Engaging Asynchronous Courses
Thursday: Remote Assessments/Academic Integrity
RSVP for one or more sessions here!
Workload balance for faculty and TAs
UCSB gives instructors and TAs access to great technologies that can be used to assist TAs and their faculty supervisors balance the labor of teaching with course and programmatic goals. Click here to learn more.
GauchoSpace Winter Quarter Update Workshops
After Fall grades are submitted, the GauchoSpace team will perform an update of GauchoSpace, updating the core code to Moodle 3.9. This update will make GauchoSpace more useful and easier to use. Collaborate will hold workshops on December 8, 17 and 29 to go over the updates and new features in GauchoSpace, highlighting the following:
New Course Overview/Dashboard Page
- Modern look and layout of courses with card and list display options, ability to star and filter courses.
- Optional blocks for starred courses, recently accessed courses and recently accessed resources/activities
New Activity Chooser
- Ability to star activities and resources that are commonly used, all activities/resources available, no more advanced tools designation.
- Whole forum grading - grading interface similar to assignment grading as an alternative to using ratings
- Ability to close forums (point at which students can no longer post), export forums, star forums, lock discussions, private reply to students
Scheduler activity (Office hours sign up)
- Activity to create sign up slots for students, can also create recurring time slots.
Workshops will be held December 8th at 2pm, 17th at 1pm and 29th at 11am PST. Please sign up by filling out this form.
Keeping the (University) Calendar in Mind - Even in asynchronous courses!!
As you plan for the end of the term and for Winter quarter, please do not require students to attend, view, or participate in any course-related activities during university holidays. This includes asking students to view lectures, upload assignments, take quizzes, or anything else.
Fall university holidays: November 26 and 27
Winter university holidays: January 18 and February 15
We hope everyone has a restful administrative holiday this week. We are grateful for all of you!
The Instructional Support Team