June 11, 2019
|Executive Vice Chancellor|
|Re:||Funding Opportunity for “Advancing Faculty Diversity at UCSB through Improved Climate and Retention”|
I am pleased to announce a funding opportunity from the UC Office of the President, “Advancing Faculty Diversity through Improved Climate and Retention,” designed to support:
- equity-oriented interventions,
- data leadership, and
- research to improve workplace climate and retention outcomes.
$1M available is being made available to support both campus efforts and collaborations across campuses. Please note the new possibility for research-based pilot programs that will allow the university to make progress in improving campus climate and retention outcomes for faculty members from historically underrepresented communities.
Detailed information about this opportunity can be found in the attached RFP, and here: (https://ucsb.infoready4.com/#competitionDetail/1790998).
Amount and Duration
Awards may be up to $200K (especially for programs that cross campuses and proposal types), and may extend up to two years, inclusive of AY 2019-20 and 2020-21. Campuses receiving awards agree to continue collecting annual data on faculty retention and separation.
A proposal may come from a department chair, dean, EVC/Provost, faculty member (for research proposals), or other academic leader, depending on the scope of the proposal. The proposal may be collaborative, spanning different areas, with one academic leader designated as the lead. Each campus may submit up to two proposals under this RFP. A joint proposal with another campus counts as one of these proposals for each campus involved.
Limited Submission Timeline
- Monday, June 24: Letter of Intent due (submit here:
- If there are more than 2 campus letters of intent, we will convene a review committee to select the two most competitive proposals to go forward.
- Friday, July 5: Notice to applicants.
- Friday, August 2: Proposal Deadline (proposals will be submitted through the Office of the EVC to UCOP).
- Early September: Announcement of funded projects.
Submit your proposal through the InfoReady competition space:
If you have any questions about the opportunity or your proposed idea, please contact Barbara Walker, Special Assistant for Diversity Initiatives, at 805-893-3576 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We encourage advance discussions with department chairs and deans.